Gather Your Party
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Voting Nov 2010

+3
Karl Marx
Arcade
Lallafa
7 posters

Go down

Voting Nov 2010 Empty Voting Nov 2010

Post by Lallafa Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:30 pm

So far I'm just following the Stranger Election Endorsements.

What about you, forumites? How huge of a douche is Rossi?

http://www.q13fox.com/news/kcpq-dino-rossi-reacts-to-obamas-vi-102110,0,4457685.story

"Maybe" my ass.
Lallafa
Lallafa
Wizard

Excellence : 265
Repute : -3

http://www.lallafa.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Voting Nov 2010 Empty Re: Voting Nov 2010

Post by Arcade Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:27 pm

There was voter registration at college but I'm a dumbass and forgot to sign up .__.
Arcade
Arcade

Excellence : 38
Repute : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Lallafa Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:28 pm

Do it now! You still have time.
Lallafa
Lallafa
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by Karl Marx Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:09 am

Let's see, I sent off my ballot a couple days ago. I more or less followed the Stranger Recommendations, with a couple differences. The only difference was I voted Yes on 1107 because I hate sales tax. And I voted no on "Engrossed Substitute House Joint Resolution 4220" because I think it's messed up to hold people without bail until trial, and no paean about saving cops' lives is gonna change my mind.

For most of the uncontested races/races where I didn't approve of any of the candidates (mostly just whichever one Mary Lou Dickerson is in because I hate her but I also hate the Republican she's running against) I wrote in Joe Szwaja, as is my tradition.

The most important one is to vote YES on 1098. Everything else doesn't matter that much.
Karl Marx
Karl Marx

Excellence : 152
Repute : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Lallafa Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:16 am

Go to my wall on facebook and convince my ex-step-grandma of that! Since you think it's really important.
Lallafa
Lallafa
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by Karl Marx Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:23 am

She has an... interesting reason for being against it.
Karl Marx
Karl Marx

Back to top Go down

Post by Lallafa Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:24 am

Are you gonna debate at her?
Lallafa
Lallafa
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by Gitaroo Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:17 am

I gave up on politics a long time ago.
Gitaroo
Gitaroo

Excellence : 191

Back to top Go down

Post by teambanzai Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:15 am

I have nothing to say that relates to Washington State however I did convince my 100 year old grandfather to vote yes to legalize pot so California can start raking in that sweet sweet tax revenue we so desperately need because we is broke like a joke.
teambanzai
teambanzai
Excellent

Excellence : 9
Repute : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Karl Marx Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:24 am

teambanzai wrote:I have nothing to say that relates to Washington State however I did convince my 100 year old grandfather to vote yes to legalize pot so California can start raking in that sweet sweet tax revenue we so desperately need because we is broke like a joke.

Hell yeah you are. I read some quote from some state worker (yeah, I know, real specific... whatever, I don't follow Californian politics that much unless you count Dead Kennedys songs) who said "It's either legalize pot or start selling off state buildings."
Karl Marx
Karl Marx

Back to top Go down

Post by Lallafa Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:21 pm

This thread makes our forum seem SO LEGIT.
Lallafa
Lallafa
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by teambanzai Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:19 pm

Karl Marx wrote:
teambanzai wrote:I have nothing to say that relates to Washington State however I did convince my 100 year old grandfather to vote yes to legalize pot so California can start raking in that sweet sweet tax revenue we so desperately need because we is broke like a joke.

Hell yeah you are. I read some quote from some state worker (yeah, I know, real specific... whatever, I don't follow Californian politics that much unless you count Dead Kennedys songs) who said "It's either legalize pot or start selling off state buildings."

Yeah, that sounds about right.
teambanzai
teambanzai
Excellent

Excellence : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Karl Marx Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:19 pm

Lallafa wrote:This thread makes our forum seem SO LEGIT.

Feather.

Your ex-step-grandmother has been co-opted by the forces of reaction and enemies of change. There is nothing I can do for her if she accepts a Seattle Times opinion article as a legit source on economics. A quote from the article she posted:

"Comparing the nine states with the highest tax rates on earned income to the nine states with no income tax shows how high tax rates weaken economic performance."

FFS THERE ARE ONLY SEVEN STATES WITH NO INCOME TAX

Like, it would be one thing to be against income tax if it wasn't already adopted in the vast majority of the civilized world including everywhere in this country except for places like fucking Florida and South Dakota. The only people who are against income are rich motherfuckers who would actually be affected by it, but they're fucking good at class warfare.

If this measure gets defeated I am going to give up on democracy. No hyperbole. Ok maybe some. Still.
Karl Marx
Karl Marx

Back to top Go down

Post by Lallafa Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:37 am

Matt is also against it in case you hadn't heard.
Lallafa
Lallafa
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by Galkar Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:53 am

Well what is the response to his objection to it which is that in 2 years they can change the legislation to extend the income tax to everyone without the need for a vote?
Galkar
Galkar
Galen

Excellence : 95

Back to top Go down

Post by Karl Marx Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:00 pm

Galkar wrote:Well what is the response to his objection to it which is that in 2 years they can change the legislation to extend the income tax to everyone without the need for a vote?

This is the first time I've heard about that, and it sounds like a conspiracy theory but I will look into it. (since people got soooo many questions about 1098 I downloaded the full text of the law and am reading it now)

1. It would still be a more progressive tax system than what we have now (if they did do that, and got rid of sales tax, we would be paying proportionally less of our income)
2. They're not going to because that would be incredibly unpopular (look at how many people are up in arms about income tax right now)
3. If they do, we'll just riot in the street (and if people aren't willing to do that, then they must be okay with income tax).

But more importantly, that's just not how income tax works. The whole point is that it's graduated, and relative to people's income. Even if there was income tax on us regular slobs, it would be a tiny percentage of our wages. Not to mention that the money from the current income tax plan is forecasted to fix most of our budget problems only taxing the hella rich bracket.

One of the reasons I'm such a fan of this initiative is it's not often that something comes around that will literally do nothing but lower taxes for the middle class while raising them for the rich AND solving our budget crisis at the same time. If it weren't for this initiative I might not have voted.

Washington is one of just seven states which has no income tax. The rest of the country, while fucked up, is not fucked up for that reason.
Karl Marx
Karl Marx

Back to top Go down

Post by MaximumSorcerer Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:56 pm

I'm turning into an apathy voter. I'm tired of voting against a candidate or an idea instead of voting for something I really believe in.

Some people would say I should get into politics if I feel that way, others would say something along the lines of "Be an activist". I'm just gonna wait until everyone is mad enough and burn the place down.

Or, the robots will come and y'all will be the resistance with me. Can't tell which one comes first, but I've got a local army of robot building (and destroying if need be) children at the ready.

Voting Nov 2010 VOTE_YES_ON_NOmtxDetail

This is an accurate portrayal on my feelings politically at this point.
MaximumSorcerer
MaximumSorcerer

Excellence : 12

http://lazersheep.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Karl Marx Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:11 am

I was into the whole activism thing for awhile but it's pretty much BS. Like it would be cool if it wasn't mostly about people's personal shit, and hella drama all the time.
Karl Marx
Karl Marx

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum